Thursday, July 1, 2010

Jump Training

I don't think I've written much about Dare's jump training it up to this point. Probably because I've been a little, (ok a lot) perplexed by it.

I started out thinking that I'd use Linda Mecklenburg's methods. From the start, I just noticed something about Dare's jumping style that I didn't like. Even on the first exercise which just involves you starting out sitting or kneeling beside the jump and the dog offering to jump back and forth, getting their reward at ground level to keep their heads low. Dare got the idea of jumping back and forth all right, but she would often just seem to spring all four legs off the ground at practically the same time in what my husband says looks like a motorcycle jumping. LOL

I tried from that point doing exercises which encouraged her to collect over the one jump, for instance: jumping and wrapping back to me on the take-off side. Some days it seemed better and others, not so much.

Then I got a message from the person who has her littermate and she was having lessons with Susan Salo. She sent me examples of the first jump grids that they had done. So, I set it up and Dare's version of solving the jumping puzzle being presented to her was to rush to the end to the target and if it meant jumping two jumps in one huge leap...fine. If it meant taking off early and just crashing through jumps...fine by her too. I did that a couple of times, and decided that was not helping. LOL


I went back to the exercises that encouraged collected jumping and didn't do big lead outs and didn't run beside her, because I found that both of those things also had a tendency to end up with less than desirable results.

I was really getting frustrated and worried when I came across the Clean Run article on Early Take-off Syndrome. Now I'm not normally one of those people who is quick to jump on the bandwagon of the latest diagnosis for people or dogs. But this article freaked me out. In the end, it basically offered some suggestions that some handlers have found varying levels of success with and said that they don't know what causes ETS or how to cure it. Talk about poor timing for me to read an article like this! LOL

Of course, I couldn't help myself and entered Dare in the funmatch even though we are struggling to figure out this jumping stuff. Consistency is obviously not a strong suit for me.

Then I ran into a friend that mentioned that she had been referred at one point to a person in WA for help with jump training and analysis. Her name is Andrea Dexter. She was quick to reply and said that she would be willing to take a look at Dare's jumping and see what she could suggest. :-) So, she had us video 3 exercises and upload them for her to analyze.

I have to say that it has been so educational for me to have her help. I will be the first to admit that I have a lot to learn. After we did the initial jump analysis I decided to get her foundation jumping DVD for a couple reasons. I like her manner of explaining things. It's simple and yet detailed and very organized. Another reason is that living where I do, I don't have ready access to experienced trainers on a frequent basis. Because of this I often find that even when I get books or DVD's that have great methods of training...I get stuck on an exercise and need help. Unfortunately, calling up Linda Mecklenburg or Susan Salo and asking for help in explaining what I'm doing wrong, is not an option. So Andrea's method has a huge advantage for me. I can work through the DVD and if I get stuck, I can just video what I'm doing and send it to her for help. How cool is that?

So, we're going back to basics again. But this time with a positive attitude and more confidence. :-) Some of the things we are working on are exercises to strengthen and raise awareness of her rear legs. Some of them we'd already done, and some we hadn't. Some are as simple as teaching your dog to "back", (which Dare already knows), also to rock back and push off with their hind legs, first into a sitting up position and then into a stand (which we hadn't done much). Then we are doing one jump work again, which will include baby front and rear crosses etc.

Anyway, this post is turning into a short novel. Sorry! If you're not snoring by now, or about to click over to the next more interesting blog, here is a video of Dare working on one of the very first exercises with one jump. We still aren't up to full height. I want to make sure that she's consistently using her rear at 14" before I go to 16".

10 comments:

  1. It must be really frustrating to have to figure things out on your own all the time - I know we are so spoiled by having good classes and instructors in this area. But I'm glad you got some advice on teaching Dare to jump and I enjoyed seeing her exercise in the video.

    I appreciate you inspiring us to do the training challenge too! I think Diana has bugged both of us (me for sure) to take my training on the road and I am so glad we are finally doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, now you have me wanting to try this exercise, and video it to watch Oreo's jumping habits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How neat you have been able to find some help with getting the jumping thing all straightened out. Where did you order the DVD from? Gosh, that was very unfortunate timing to have the ETS articles coming out right when you were worried about the jumping style, I really am glad you found someone who was able to put your mind at ease or at least help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy,

    Andrea's website is: www.agilityflix.com She has just the DVD's on their own, or you can do online classes with her, or you can just get analysis of training you're doing on your own, pretty much whatever you think fits your needs best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I just looked at her site and think I will use some of that for cricket...cricket is nine and a half months old so the perch work and some of the other stuff will be great to start with and then when she gets a little older I would like to do the foundation class with her, thanks!!! REally neat that the class is available and then you can do the video analysis and get feedback. SO glad you mentioned all of that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy,

    I'm glad I mentioned it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really interesting to me because one of my dogs specifically needs some jump work. It's one of my big goals for the summer is to get him better understanding jumping. While I don't have quite the same problems, it'll still be interesting to see how things progress for Dare!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That ETS is scary. I know how you feel about training alone. In some ways it is better:-) But It pushes me if I train with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this post about the video analysis and Andrea. I am addressing some jumping concerns of my own and it's helpful to know that other than Susan Salo and Linda, there are other people out there who can help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie,

    I agree, sometimes training alone has it's advantages. Lacking motivation and feedback are often the downside. Still is fun either way to get out and be able to work with the dogs though!

    Kirby and Lindsay,

    I hope Andrea is able to help, or at least open up some other avenues of help for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete